Listen to parts 1 & 2 of @ChurchMasses interview w/ @SrHelenaBurns on "Theology of the Body in Art & Media" https://virginmostpowerfulradio.org/church-of-the-masses/ … … (Part 1=July 11, Part 2=July 18)
THREE THEOLOGY OF THE BODY PRINCIPLES FOR ARTISTS:
1. The personalistic norm: "A human being may never be used. The only appropriate response to a person is love."
2. For artists, ethics ARE aesthetics.
3. The purpose of art is the same as the purpose of the body: to make visible the invisible; to reveal the deepest, unseen meaning of things.
THREE MAIN POINTS BY WHICH SR. HELENA REVIEWS A FILM:
1. Excellence in filmmaking2. Overall experience of the film (and where is film coming from/why was it made?)
3. How does the film jive with a Judaeo-Christian, biblical, sacramental, Theology of the Body worldview?
SHOULD I WATCH THIS FILM (AS AN ADULT)?
1. Pray. Pray before, during, after the film.2. Know thyself.
3. Hit pause. It's OK to look away / fast forward / turn off / walk away / walk out / take a stand.
4. Ask yourself: Why am I watching this film in the first place? We are always disciples of Jesus Christ and must always glorify Him in all that we do, including our media/digital lives. Will watching this film glorify Him? (Even if it might be objectionable in parts, am I watching it to study it and help myself and others? Never use "I'm studying it" as an excuse!)
5. Be brutally honest about how this film is affecting you, body and soul. How it's affecting your relationship with God, self, family, others, enemies, all Creation.
Post a Comment